Malaysian online casinos
Malaysian online casinos
Determining whether online gambling in Malaysia is legal is very difficult due to the prominence of Muslims in the country – around 60%. Under the Sharia law, gambling is an illegal activity. For the other 40%, online gambling is not illegal per any legislation. Provided you stick to secure offshore sites, you can enjoy gambling responsibly.
Best online casinos for Malaysia
Malaysian Internet gambling laws
Malaysia is located in Southeast Asia in the Malay Peninsula and is made up of 13 states and three territories. While it is known for its stunning stretches of beaches which meet the rainforests, it’s highly recognised for religious reasons.
The official religion of the country is Sunni Islam, but unlike other countries, Malaysia doesn’t enforce it as law. The constitution states freedom of religion but over 60% practice Islam, almost 20% practice Buddhism, around 10% practice Hinduism, and the rest practice Confucianism or no religion at all.Since it is illegal for practising Islamists to gamble, this cuts out a huge sector of the market, and it’s most likely why not many online casinos are available in this region. But there are some sites eligible to be accessed for those who don’t practice a religion which prohibits online gambling – or exercise the freedom of Malaysia’s’ religious constitution.
In terms of the law, the Betting Act 1953 is Malaysia’s main piece of legislation which hasn’t been amended since the introduction of the Internet. While it makes it illegal for anyone to operate as a land-based bookmaker or to bet in one, offshore online casino sites are legal at the time of writing.
There was an attempt in 2015 to make it possible for police to prosecute operators behind online gambling sites with proposed amendments to be made. So far these haven’t been passed but we will update this page if anything changes.
Top Malaysian ringgit Internet casinos
Many of our recommended online casinos block Malaysian players, most likely due to the efforts by the government to prevent transactions to overseas accounts. This hinders gambling online at many of our secure Internet casinos, but there are some online casinos which still accept Malaysian players.
Unfortunately, these sites to not accept the Malaysian ringgit so you will have to exchange your money, which you can do instantly when you deposit. The online casino may have the Japanese yen, Chinese renminbi, or Hong Kong dollars, if you don’t want to opt for Euros, American dollars, or another currency. Just be sure to note the exchange fee which you will be charged.
Royal Vegas Casino: This online casino isn’t certain as a Malaysian accepting site, as it may not allow you to join. But we tried, being located in Malaysia and we could set our country too, and it worked. If you do happen to get onto this site you can play an array of secure Microgaming table games and slots. You can also gamble on the live dealer games by Evolution Gaming. There’s also contact support for Malaysians with calls free of charge – phone 1800 812 500.
Slots.lv: You won’t be able to set your location as Malaysia at this online casino, but you will still be able to join, deposit and play for real money. There’s a variety of games available here too – blackjack, roulette, slots, craps, baccarat and exclusives you won’t find at any other site.
BetOnline: You can set your location to Malaysia at this online gambling site, without any problems when you register an account. BetOnline is a bookmaker so you can bet on sports and races from around the world, but there’s also casino component. Slots by BetSoft and NetEnt are available, as well as table games from the top providers. You will also find a live casino and a poker room here. It is important to note credit and debit card deposits are restricted from players in Malaysia so you will have to opt for another payment method, which we detail below.
If you want more variety than what’s on offer here, try a VPN – it’ll block your location and allow you to access more games. But just be careful when it comes to payouts.
Deposit methods for Malaysian players
Funding your online casino is the tricky part, which is why so many online casinos have blocked Malaysian players. The following payment methods may be available to use including;
Web wallets are the best option if you want a successful deposit and withdrawal process – simply open an account online and fund it using your credit or debit card, or another payment method, then use the details at the online casino and get playing your favourite online casino games.