One of the biggest upsides when choosing to play roulette online instead of in a real life casino is you’re given complete control over which variation of roulette you play. In land based casinos, vendors often stick with games that have a higher house edge in order to profit as much as possible, which means American roulette is typically favoured over European roulette.
Best real money online roulette sites
As online vendors have much lower overheads, our recommended casinos offer a wide range of roulette variants, including European roulette, giving you the freedom to choose a game with better odds and a lower house edge
The difference between European, American and French roulette
The fundamental rules of roulette are mostly the same regardless of what variant you play, but the major difference between American and European roulette all comes down to the wheel itself. While both wheels contain the numbers one through 36, the American roulette wheel contains two zeros (a single zero and a double zero), whereas the European roulette wheel only has a single zero. This may seem like a small distinction, but the use of double zeros in American roulette brings the house edge up significantly, from 2.70% in European roulette to 5.26% in American roulette.
French roulette uses the same single zero wheel as European roulette, but the addition of the En Prison and La Partage rules exclusive to French roulette brings the house edge down to a low 1.35%.
How to play European roulette
Like other versions of roulette, the aim of European roulette is to place a correct guess on where the roulette ball will land once the wheel has come to a stop. Roulette is a luck based game and there’s nothing that a player can do to influence the outcome of a spin.
The European roulette wheel is laid out clockwise as follows: 0, 32, 15, 19, 4, 21, 2, 25, 17, 34, 6, 27, 13, 36, 11, 30, 8, 23, 10, 5, 24, 16, 33, 1, 20, 14, 31, 9, 22, 18, 29, 7, 28, 12, 35, 3 and 26.
Bets are placed on the corresponding betting table, which is divided into three sections. The betting table displays all the red and black numbers found in the roulette wheel, along with other boxes depicting the available inside and outside bets.
To play European roulette online, click on the chip with the value you wish to bet (as a guide, NetEnt’s European Roulette allows bet chips of $1, $2, $5, $25, $100 and $500) and move it to the section of the betting table you wish to place a wager on. Click the spin button and watch as the ball whirls around the wheel, eventually coming to a stop on a winning number. If you’ve won the bet, credits are automatically added to your bankroll and you now have the option to place a new bet, place the same bet again or to claim your winnings and call it a day.
Outside bets explained
Outside bets are the most straightforward bets you can place when playing European roulette and come with the best odds, however they won’t win you as much money as the more complex inside bets will. The outside bets in European roulette are:
- Red or black – a bet that the ball will land on either a red or a black number, with odds of 48.65% and a winning payout of 1 to 1.
- Odd or even – a bet that the ball will land on either an odd or an even numbers, with odds of 48.65% and a winning payout of 1 to 1.
- 1-18 or 19-36 – a bet that the ball will land on one of the lowest 18 numbers or one of the highest 18 numbers, with odds of 48.65 and a winning payout of 1 to 1.
- Dozens (first 12, second 12 or third 12) – a bet that the ball will land on a number appearing on the first, second or third section of 12 numbers on the betting table, with odds of 32.43% and a winning payout of 2 to 1.
- Columns – a bet that the ball will land on a number appearing within one of the three columns on the betting table, with odds of 32.43% and a winning payout of 2 to 1.
Inside bets explained
Inside bets refer to the inner portion of the betting table, requiring more specific predictions in order to land a win. Chances of winning an inside bet are lower, and therefore the rewards are significantly higher:
- Straight – a bet that the ball will land on a specific single number, with odds of 2.70% and a lucrative winning payout of 35 to 1.
- Split – a bet that the ball will land on one of two specific numbers, with odds of 5.41 and a winning payout of 17 to 1.
- Street/three line – a bet that the ball will land on one of the three numbers within a horizontal row on the betting table, with odds of 8.11% and a winning payout of 11 to 1.
- Corner/square – a bet that the ball will land on one of four adjoining numbers that form a square on the betting table, with odds of 10.81% and a winning payout of 8 to 1.
- Six line – a bet that the ball will land on a number within two adjoining rows of three numbers (known as a street), with odds of 16.22% and a winning payout of 5 to 1.
Where to play European roulette online
European roulette is offered at each of our recommended casinos and is also widely offered in live dealer form. If you’re new to the game or just want to get a feel for it before committing to a real money wager, you can try European roulette for free in practice play mode. If you want to play for the chance to win real cash, follow any of our links to play roulette at a secure site that accepts real money deposits, with some huge welcome bonuses up for grabs for new players. Our favourite roulette sites are listed in the casino table above, while we recommend Raging Bull Casino as our top-rated casino site for players from United States, which offers a great selection of instant-play roulette games and some great bonus offers.
Latest Online Casino Promotions
Double bonus matches every day at Joe Fortune
Log in at JoeFortune.com any day this week and trigger not one, but two match deposit bonuses up to $50 each.
Pocket up to $300 with Mucho Vegas Casino’s Taco Friday Bonus
Find out how you can score up to $300 bonus cash this Friday at Mucho Vegas Casino.
Joe’s Rewards daily cashback deals at JoeFortune.com
Find out how you can earn cashback deals, extra deposit matches and heaps more exclusive perks by betting with real money at Joe Fortune Casino.
Play Max Quest at House of Jack and win a share of €50k
Play Betsoft's new Max Quest: Wrath of Ra game at House of Jack Casino this month for the chance to take home a share of...
Win one of 60 prizes in Casino-Mate’s Super Blue Full Moon promo
It’s a full moon at Casino-Mate, and the casino is giving 60 prizes out over the next few days by playing one of Quickspin’s most...